Ditch the Gift Wrapping – Creative Holiday Packaging Ideas
Are you still using the same old tired gift-wrapping that you bought ten years ago? Do your friends and family immediately know a gift is from you just from the way it’s wrapped? Enough is enough. It’s time to change things up for the better!
While gift wrapping has a time and place, there are even better ways to add a festive feel to your gifts. In this article, we go over the different accents you can use in lieu of gift wrap. Let’s dive in!
Packaging Add-ons That Add
The allure of gift wrap lies in its ability to build anticipation. You’re left wondering what’s inside. Is it the gift you’ve always dreamed of or is it a lump of coal?
The gift wrap alternative must mimic this feeling of fun and excitement. Before you go wrap those gift boxes, try using these popular packaging add-ons first. They help build excitement while adding something extra at the same time.
- Custom tape – Nothing beats the simplicity of a kraft box. It’s nondescript and only needs a simple accent to communicate a holiday message. Custom tape pairs perfectly with a plain box since it bonds with the material and creates a tamper-resistant seal. No peeking until Christmas morning!
- Tissue paper – In life, it’s what’s inside that counts. Custom tissue paper protects your gifts while in storage or in transit. It helps minimize scuffs and scratches while adding another layer of mystery to the gift unboxing at the same time.
- Custom bags – For a more functional (and reusable) gift packaging option, consider using a custom bag. You can use a festive theme or a personalized design on it, put the gift inside, and seal it a sticker or tape. This way, you still get the anticipation and mystery without leaving a mess with torn gift wrap. The recipient will have a reusable bag to take home, too!
- Flexible packaging – If you’re gifting small items to multiple people, consider using pouches instead of boxes and gift wrap. This way, you use fewer materials and produce less waste. ouches also let you print a custom full-color design, which is perfect for a large amount of recipients, such as corporate gifting.
- Void fill – Maximum protection for maximum surprise. You can use packing peanuts to play with size and scale for your gifts. Everybody knows the shape of an iPhone or PlayStation box, but you can use a larger box and place void fill to bamboozle the recipient. This tip is a bit wasteful though, so use it sparingly.
Bringing It All Together: Tips to Make Your Holiday Packaging Memorable
Think of your favorite gift you’ve ever received. Was it etched in your memory because of the gift-wrapping? Probably not. Maybe it was something you really, really wanted, or maybe it just had that X factor you couldn’t quite pin down.
No matter what made it special, here are some ways to make your gift more memorable.
- Add something made by hand – One of the easiest and simplest ways to give a memorable gift is to add something personal and hand-made. It can be something as simple as a handwritten note, or something more meaningful like a long, personal letter. Even if you’re not particularly close to the recipient, the feeling of getting something handwritten will always be memorable.
- Make unboxing a journey – Unboxing a gift is straightforward. You can open a dozen presents and remember next to nothing right after. Go against the grain and add layers to your gift packaging but make sure to place thoughtful, meaningful accents along the way. The gift box itself could have designs that remind the recipient of a particular event or memory, while the tissue paper inside displays another equally important milestone. Each extra step can evoke feelings that heighten and prolong the excitement, something that’s very difficult to replicate.
That’s a Wrap!
There’s more to holiday packaging than boring gift wrap. Add a personal touch to your gifting and use different materials and methods that set your presents apart from the rest.
Print your holiday packaging add-ons today with Packlane!